The Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4 1/8 Buggy Kit benefits from the knowledge and experience that can only be attained from 30+ years of 1/8 nitro domination. The Kyosho Inferno is the most successful racing platform in the history of 1/8 off road, and the MP9 has long been a top contender at tracks around the world. In preparation for the 2016 IFMAR 1/8 Off Road World Championships, the legendary Yuichi Kanai has tuned his creation and added no less than 22 updates that cover the suspension, drivetrain and aero package. Easier to drive, faster in the turns and more durable than its predecessor, the Inferno MP9 TKI4 is ready for battle.
NOTE: Engine, tuned pipe, electronics, tires and painted body shown in photos are for illustrative purposes only and are not included. See needed to complete list below for a full list of items required to complete the model.
In Depth Inferno MP9 TKI4 Features:
- TKI4 Body: The redesigned body shell features a longer cab, with a longer, flatter roof to produce more laminar airflow across the roof and on to the rear wing. The cab is narrower, with a more vertical windshield and positioned further forward. Downforce features on the side pods of the TKI4 body have also been moved forward. These changes produce more front downforce, and improved handling.
- Lightweight Multi-Element Wing: Extensive testing has proven that the reduced weight of a Lexan wing is beneficial, but the material is lacking durability. The TKI4 wing features thinner construction for similar weight savings, but the material is better able to withstand a crash. Two additional vertical planes have been added and two different size wickerbills are included to adjust rear downforce.
- Wider, Lower Wing Support: Extensions visible on the outside of the wing mounts help to support the updated and lighter rear wing and reduces the likelihood of damage in the event of a severe crash. The wing mount is also lower, which keeps the wing at the proper height in relation to the redesigned body. Plus, by keeping the wing assembly lower, it helps to reduce the possibility of damage in a crash.
- Reinforced Lower Rear Arms: The lower rear suspension arms benefit from significantly increased webbing around the gussets in the arms. The arms have been reinforced in the web area to make them especially stronger in line with the hinge pin, while still allowing some necessary flex in the perpendicular axis to make shock set-up a LOT easier. Arms that are simply made super stiff in every direction will make the car very difficult to tune properly because there’s such a small tuning window. The TKI4 arms add strength and durability in the right areas, while still providing a car that’s easy to set-up for your conditions and driving preferences.
- Aluminum Rear Hubs: The updated aluminum rear hubs feature eccentric inserts to increase the number of roll center options available. The upper linkage rod has an upper and lower mounting position, and the inserts on the rear hubs provides intermediate adjustments of just 1mm. This gives the racer four different settings to choose from instead of two.
- Longer, Reinforced Lower Front Arms: Like the rear suspension arms, the front arms benefit from all the reinforcing to make them stronger. The front arms are also 2mm longer in than the TKI3 front arms, which allows the use of the 93mm driveshafts. The longer arms also bring the front suspension out closer to maximum width as regulated by world and national organizations, which gives the TKI4 a wider stance for improved cornering.
- Updated Machined Aluminum Steering Knuckles – Improved Ackerman: The updated steering knuckles feature shorter steering arms to change the Ackerman angle, and promote increased corner speeds. By maintaining more correct Ackerman angle throughout the range of steering motion (especially at higher degrees of steering angle), there’s less slip angle, which means the TKI4 carries more corner speed than any Inferno before it.
- Longer Steering Turnbuckles: The increased arm length and the addition of the updated steering knuckles, makes longer steering turnbuckles a necessity.
- Reduced Front Suspension Hingepin Angle: It’s easy to see the difference in the height of the redesigned hinge pin braces on the rear of the front bulkhead. Those included in the TKI4 raise the rear of the front hinge pin, reducing the hinge pin angle. The reduced hinge pin/arm angle reduces the amount of dive during corner entry, and significantly improves on-power steering during corner exit.
- Heavy-Duty Servo Saver: High performance servos are only as effective as the servo saver they are connected to. As a top-of-the-line race car, TKI4 owners are expected to use high-performance servos. So Kyosho includes the optional KYOIFW459 heavy-duty servo saver with the lightweight adjuster.
- Larger Receiver Box Opening: Getting all the wires into the receiver box can be a challenge with the heavy duty wires being used on modern high-performance servos. The opening for the servo wires and other accessories is now larger to accommodate not only the servos, but leads for items such as telemetry sensors and transponders.
- Stronger, Lower 4mm Hingepins: If a hinge pin is too hard it will snap – too soft and it will bend. A delicate balance is required when choosing materials for the hingepins. The TKI4 lower pins are stronger than the TKI3 pins, and they benefit from material chosen based on 30 years of off-road nitro experience.
- Gun-Metal Anodized Nylon-Locking Wheel Nuts: Standard wheel nuts have been included with previous versions of the MP9, and the nylon lock wheel nuts were an optional upgrade. The TKI4 includes matching gun-metal anodized, nylon-locking wheels nuts as standard equipment. They require less torque on the wheel nut, and will hold the wheel securely in any condition.
- Uniform 93mm Universal Driveshafts: The TKI4 version uses uniform 93mm front and rear universal driveshafts. It’s the ideal length for the updated front suspension arms. This means you only need to carry one length in your pit bag.
- Redesigned Air Filter: Loose air filters are the number one killers of engines, and the filter and filter housing of the TKI4 is designed to best protect your valuable engine. The redesigned air filter housing is more substantial than the previous version, and it better secures the foam filter elements to protect the engine. The assembled filter also has a more secure mount that will ensure the filter remains in place throughout the roughest A-finals in the world.
- Beefy 6.8mm Ball Ends: The ball ends used on the steering turnbuckles have been made stronger. The wall thickness of the ball ends has been increased to keep the fit very tight and strong to reduce wear and increase reliability.
- Lightweight Vented Clutch Bell: A lightweight 13T vented clutch bell is standard with the TKI4. Reduced rotating mass is important in terms of quicker acceleration and improved fuel economy. The clutch also benefits by reducing the heat in the clutch shoes and springs, as well as allowing the clutch debris to escape from inside the clutch bell.
- Lighter Wheels: The Kyosho wheels have been retooled to be lighter and match the dimensions of the most popular tires. That means the wheels will ideally fit all the most current racing tires, and they’ve even been modified to include a rougher surface that will make the glue bead much stronger, which will ensure that your tires remain attached to the wheels.
- The New/Old Shock Boot: Kyosho loyalists may recognize the look of the TKI4’s shock boots. They share the same traditional "straight boot" design as the old 777 shock boots. The straight boot is proven more durable and effective than the accordion style dust boot that is found on all previous versions of the MP9, so the TKI4 will include the straight dust boots.
- Updated Shock Pins: The lower shock mounting pins previously had a flat spot that needed to be indexed to the set-screws that secured the lower shock mounting pins. The TKI4 pins have a lightened head (every little bit counts) and there’s a groove machined around the entire circumference. That means the pins no longer need to be aligned, and the lower end of the shocks are more secure than ever.
- Black Indexed Spring Pre-Load Adjusters: Apart from being black anodized, the updated spring pre-load adjusters feature indexing marks, which serve as a visual reference for more accurate spring pre-load adjustments.
- 1.5mm x 5 Hole Shock Pistons: The 1.5mm x 5 Hole shock pistons have been thoroughly tested in a wide variety of conditions. They produce a little bit less “pack” and smoother, more linear damping than the previous shocks. They’re notably better on tracks with a lot of little bumps and tracks that degrade over time and develop divots. The initial damping of the TKI4 shocks is much more responsive, which provides better traction and a greater sense of confidence for the driver on difficult surfaces.
TKI4 Features at a Glance:
- Most successful 1/8 off-road racing car in the history of RC
- Evolution of the IFMAR World Champion MP9 TKI3
- Redesigned body with improved aerodynamic features
- Lighter wing with wickerbill attachments for tuning the level of downforce
- Reinforced lower suspension arms
- 2mm longer front suspension arms for wider stance
- Low-profile wing mounts with extra wing supports
- Updated front suspension mounts for reduced “skid angle”
- Includes KYOIFW459 Heavy Duty Servo Saver assembly
- Uses 93mm driveshafts all around
- Redesigned front steering knuckles for improved Ackerman geometry
- Larger opening in radio box for servo leads and other electronic wiring
- Redesigned aluminum rear hubs with inserts for more roll-center adjustments
- Lightweight, more secure lower shock mounting pins
- Stronger lower 4mm hingepins
- Stronger, more secure air filter housing
- Updated heavy-duty ball ends for the steering linkage
- Lightweight 13T clutch bell
Length: 19.3 in. (490mm)
Width: 12.2 in. (309mm)
Height: 7.1 in. (180mm)
Wheelbase: 13.8 in. (325mm)
Tread (F/R): 10.0 in. (254mm)
Gear Ratio: 11.7:1
Approx. Weight: 116.4 oz. (3300g)
Needed to Complete:
- 2-channel, 2-servo R/C System for cars
- 21-class Engine & Tuned Pipe
- Engine starting tools
- Batteries for R/C system
- Tires, Inserts & CA Glue
- Fuel & Fuel Bottle
- Polycarbonate Paint for Body
- Tools for Assembly
Speed 21XZ-B Spec III
Taking 1/8 power to the next level.
The 21XZ-B Spec III is the evolution of a proven powerhouse that has been a winner at numerous races worldwide. With upgrades that enhance its performance and drivability you'll hear the difference in the engine's roar when warming it up. Once you've experienced the speed and power of the Spec III, you'll be on the fast track to the winner's circle!
- Long stroke engine provides more torque
- Enhanced low-to middle-range torque provides a great advantage on tracks that require lots of power
- The newly developed cylinder liner features 3 scavenger ports and 3 exhaust ports, and works with the crankcase to deliver more power with less fuel consumption
- The drop-in type outer head is now lighter, with a lower CG
- Silicon-potted, DLC-coated crankshaft with pressed-in tungsten weights
- Easy-to-tune 21J carburetor with 6.5 mm restrictor
stock Number: OSMG2060
Displacement: 0.213 cu in (3.49 cc)
Bore: 0.641 in (16.27 mm)
Stroke: 0.661 in (16.80 mm)
Practical rpm: 4,000-42,000
Power Output: 2.61 hp/2.65 ps @ 34,000 rpm
Weight: 12.45 oz (353 g)
Includes: Turbo P-3 plug
Requires: glow fuel, tuned pipe and manifold